My Headlines

hello

We have moved to Wordpress! Posted by Jason Links to this post The Recruiting Front Lines has evolved. At the beginning of the year, I changed jobs within my company, moving away from Outreach and Education, and into my new role as Director of Business Development. While I remain closely involved with our field activity, I am now more focused on strategic partnerships, social media, and the world of internet recruitment resources. As I have made this change, the focus of my blog content has also changed. Recently, I began to feel that many of the ideas I had for blog posts would not fit within the framework of The Recruiting Front Lines. This was a cause of some frustration, as I felt that I was either misrepresenting my content with the title of my blog, or that I was stifling my writing because I felt it didn't fit. To rectify this situation, I have created a new blog home, now on WordPress. I am still ironing out the wrinkles, but feel that it is far enough along that I can move all my past content, and begin posting all new content, at the new address. I would like to formally welcome everyone to come check out my new home at jasonblais.com. I can't wait to hear what you think! Best Regards, and Thank you for your time and attention over the past 18 months. Jason

Jan 8, 2009

Is Your Recruiting Plan Recession-Proof?

Reprinted from the Recruiting Review for JobsInMA, and can also be found in the newsletters for JobsInME, JobsInNH, JobsInVT, and JobsInRI:

Is Your Recruiting Plan
Recession-Proof?

By Margaret Hansen, JobsInMA.com

photo

Bonuses are off the table. Salaries are flat. Staff resources are thin. People are lucky to have a job. You've heard all of this before, but how do you plan to address these shortfalls in '09? Here are 3 questions to ask yourself.

Question #1: Are you prepared for long-term vacancies?

First, make sure your current employees aren't left in the lurch. Even though your budget is tighter, you need to recognize and reassure them. After all, they are your most precious resources.

Process improvement should be the flavor of the day. Does your team really need to spend 80 hours per month on administrative tasks? Consider hiring an intern. It will free up some team time for strategic meetings and follow up work, plus buy you some insurance for future staffing needs.

By the time you have ironed out a leaner plan, your intern will be trained and interested, just in time for graduation and a post-recession promotion.

photoQuestion #2: Are you maintaining a trusted presence?

As the unemployed, or "active," job seeker pool grows, your image as a trusted employer should be keeping pace.

Many job seekers are feeling anxious about the future. People are nervous about layoffs. How do you address those fears? How do you instill confidence and attract top performers to your positions?

Be sure to answer these unasked questions at every step of the recruiting process from initial advertising to interview and beyond. It's on everyone's mind, even if they don't ask.

Come up with a "Top 10" list of why it's great to work for your company. Ask your most dedicated top performers what they like about working there. Make it diverse - choose at least one person from each division at varying levels: an IT employee is likely to have an entirely different perspective and experience from an HR employee.

Once this list is created, include it - in part or in its entirety - with all of your employment advertising. It's part of your Employment Brand and there's never been a better time to let it be known.

photoQuestion #3: Are you getting the best value for your employment advertising dollar?

Now that you have a Top 10 list of great reasons to work for your company, make sure that you're getting it out in front of the right audience.

Advertising online poses the least amount of risk while offering fantastic return on investment. Web stats track the number of job views, referrals, and online applications.

Sprinkle your Top 10 around: in your online banner ads, job postings, company profile, website, press releases and even in your employee manual. It will soon become a big part of your recruiting strategy.

Find an all-inclusive online subscription that offers unlimited jobs, unlimited changes and tools to help you recruit, such as a resume database. You'll be able to make changes at any time of day, recruit faster and cheaper and reach more people than any other method.

Your budget is likely to be tighter for next year. Be sure to maximize your recruiting dollars.

No comments:

Jason Blais on FoxNews

Word Cloud for RFL

Wordle: The Recruiting Front Lines

Using Video to Reinforce Employment Brand