My Headlines

hello

We have moved to Wordpress! Posted by Jason Links to this post The Recruiting Front Lines has evolved. At the beginning of the year, I changed jobs within my company, moving away from Outreach and Education, and into my new role as Director of Business Development. While I remain closely involved with our field activity, I am now more focused on strategic partnerships, social media, and the world of internet recruitment resources. As I have made this change, the focus of my blog content has also changed. Recently, I began to feel that many of the ideas I had for blog posts would not fit within the framework of The Recruiting Front Lines. This was a cause of some frustration, as I felt that I was either misrepresenting my content with the title of my blog, or that I was stifling my writing because I felt it didn't fit. To rectify this situation, I have created a new blog home, now on WordPress. I am still ironing out the wrinkles, but feel that it is far enough along that I can move all my past content, and begin posting all new content, at the new address. I would like to formally welcome everyone to come check out my new home at jasonblais.com. I can't wait to hear what you think! Best Regards, and Thank you for your time and attention over the past 18 months. Jason

Feb 10, 2008

Bringing the Human Resources Back to Louisiana

Bringing the Human Resources Back to Louisiana

Working at JobsInTheUS as a Recruiting Consultant, Manager of Outreach and Education, and now as the Field Operations Manager, I have presented workshops on how to create more attractive and effective job postings to dozens of employer groups over the past few years. However, after all these presentations, and all the positive feedback and testimonials of success from employers, I never realized the true potential of employment advertising and the internet. That potential hit me like an awakening when I least expected it.

I was at the gym on Saturday morning, just settling in to my 60 minutes on the elliptical trainer, when this realization struck. Now, one of the reasons I picked this particular gym to join was that every aerobic machine has it’s own flat screen TV with a remote control and headphone jack propped up in front of it. This idea of giving me something to distract myself, as I worked out has been great. As is my custom, I try to find an engaging program to tune in to as I sweat away the 60 minute workout. As so often I do, I landed on CNN, which is mostly attractive for it’s lack of commercials, keeping my attention longer.

This day happened to be Saturday, February 9th, and the presidential campaign was in full swing. Caucuses were underway in Kansas, Nebraska, the Virgin Islands, and Washington, while votes were being cast at the Louisiana Primary. CNN was airing a show entitled Ballot Bowl ’08, and was covering the top candidates as they rallied support for their nominations. CNN aired lengthy clips of each of the candidates speaking to crowds at town halls, diners, senior citizens homes, and various arenas.

Barack Obama was speaking in Lafayette, LA, regarding the tens of thousands of displaced residents who have not been able to return after Katrina. Obama spoke passionately about increasing federal support and speeding up the reconstruction, conjuring up visions of a mass migration back to LA to restore the communities and economy. It was then that the power of recruitment advertising and the internet occurred to me.

At JobsInTheUS, we have been providing informational seminars to help companies use the internet to position themselves as the employer of choice in their area and industry. We talk about what makes them a great place to work, the unique qualities that make them special, and we share what job seekers are looking for. We have seen that businesses who promote themselves with descriptive profiles, including colors, logos, and images, are much more successful in their recruiting efforts, while those who put in little effort, tend to get a return in kind. The internet broadcasts your business and your employment opportunities across the globe. Through the web, a person living in Idaho can find out all about the job openings in Baton Rouge or Houma. That is, they can find out as much as your company tells them. We spend a great deal of effort on search engine optimization, so when a person searches for a “job in Louisiana” in a search engine, we show up to promote the real in-state jobs that are available.

Tens of thousands of displaced Louisiana residents are still living outside the state, awaiting an opportunity to return. Most of the people that we work with wear many hats in their companies. I urge all HR professionals, business owners, office managers, and personnel staff to don one more cap, that of the lighthouse keeper. But instead of shining your light to keep boats from crashing into the coast, your light should serve as a beacon to all who are looking to return to Louisiana. A beacon of light that shines on the great opportunities you can provide and illuminates your unique culture and qualities. A light that will attract people to your company and to the region. Take the time to show what makes you special, and remember, as you write you company profile or fill in your job description online, that you are doing more than merely posting a help-wanted ad. You are broadcasting to the world that there is opportunity in Louisiana, and there is something great to come home to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Exactly right! As an HR professional in Maine, the similarities are remarkable. No, there was no major weather-induced diaspora, but I would argue we have an equally dangerous age-specific exodus, as the majority of our youth continue to move to areas outside our state in search of opportunities. More discussion than is helpful has been had over the possible reasons for this, but your post hones in on finding a solution, instead of arguing a cause. Maine, Louisiana, Texas, Idaho, wherever, we as employers should all have the same primary goal: not simply to post our openings to the widest audience possible, but to frame those openings as the opportunities they are, and to remember that we are not simply looking to fill spaces in org charts or manufacturing lines or checkout counters, but we are building our communities.

well done.

Jason Blais on FoxNews

Word Cloud for RFL

Wordle: The Recruiting Front Lines

Using Video to Reinforce Employment Brand